Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Only Funny In The Rich Mans World

Perhaps a break from the heavy stuff is in order? I think this is a good medium to talk about the things that are close to my heart. But now i think about it, what is close to my heart?

Allow me to get to my point in a round-a-bout anecdotal way. I'm on the yearbook committee, and it was my job to type up everyones profiles (about 150 all up) into word. As boring as batshit but it gave far more of an insight into people than i'm sure they realised when they wrote it. I am fully aware of the fact that i'm generalising here, but just allow me to digress. What genuinely surprised me was that the louder, more extroverted population of the year struggled far more evidently with their forms than the quieter (and lets be honest, nearly always asian) students. I mean, the quieter people (particularly the girls) had covered every square centimetre in writing, where as the others had maybe a only a few lines on them. Esspecially the "three words that describe me" question. Nearly every single person who i would have described as calm, shy or quiet wrote that they were "crazy" or an appropriate synonym. But i've digressed off my digression.

What got me thinking was the last question. "Where do you see yourself in 10 years?". There were only two answers. Half the school was in a nutshell "With a good job as a doctor (or something similar) and earning lots of money", or they were "doing something that makes me happy".

And that in a nutshell is my point. I will be honest. Nearly every single money based response was from an asian kid. Im not racist, and i'm not trying to give that impression at all. It just got me thinking. Why that division? What is it that makes us need money to achieve what we want out of life.

I'm not going to claim i'm immune from this innate love of money. Despite its reputation as the root of all evil, money makes my world go round. Money makes everyones world go round. Money is what makes the world go round poor Timbutu. Money makes our world go round, but that dosnt mean it should be the center of it.

Yes. I want money out of my life. I like to eat. That costs money. I need to raise my (eventual) kids. That costs money. I generally just like spending money, because i usually get something good out of it. Admittedly, when i start paying bills and im throwing money away just for running water and electricity, i may feel differently. But i like having and spending money. But it is not the center of my world.

I wrote this instead of discussing God, because i thought God would be too big a topic and i wasnt in the mood. But the reality is, for some people, money is god. Which to me, is sad. There is more to life than how fat your wallet is.

4 comments:

  1. a) HATE TANK, GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE!
    b) That's actually kinda cool. I guess they want money because they don't know what makes them happy. And cause money gives them the freedom to buy whatever they want, maybe they associate that freedom with happiness when it is at best a glimpse of pleasure.
    c) I don't think mine had anything to do with being happy or being rich
    d) DON'T EVER STOP BLOGGING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. y'know Wu Tang Clan wrote a song about everything you just said (not the Asian bits), it's called CREAM, and it IS hip hop week, so.. yeah, y'know.

    also, I think mine had something to do with A2N

    ReplyDelete
  3. I posted on this thread before, but it got lost in the ether, apparently.

    Two points. One: so you're saying that introverts know a lot about themselves? Who knew? I would be more interested in the corollary: did the extroverts write almost exclusively about their ties and relationships with the people around them? In those three words, was there more revealed about self-perception by the words they chose rather than those words meanings?

    I'll move on to my second point. NEVER get me started on linguistics.

    Secondly, its the love of money that is the root of all evil, not money itself. This may sound like semantics, but it fits. Just like people in love with their own appearances, or constantly trying to maintain popularity, or don't shut up about their talents; these Asians obsessed with wealth are confusing means with ends.

    Mind you, you could reuse that in another way, and say that people who are trying to be happy are confusing destinations with journeys, but hey.

    ReplyDelete